If your child is eligible for free school meals it means they can enjoy delicious, healthy meals without the bills and the fuss of making packed lunches. Many children at our school are already eating free school meals, and your child may be able to have them too. School meals will give your child a real appetite for learning and help them to achieve their full potential.
There is nothing healthier for your child and your family’s budget than free school meals. As professional cooks prepare the meals for your child, it saves you having to worry about the effort and expense of making packed lunches every day.
Your child may be entitled to receive free school meals if you are entitled to receive one of the following:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and their annual income does not exceed £16,190
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit.
If you pay for your child to have school meals you could save around £580 per year if your child qualifies for free school meals.
If you access free school meals you will also be entitled to a one-off clothing grant of £105 for your child when they are moving from primary school to their first year of secondary school.
Our school will also receive £1050 additional funding for every child registered for Free School Meals. This funding must be directly targeted at Free School Meal pupils. This year we have used that additional funding for additional interventions in literacy and numeracy.
To make sure that your child does not miss out, please complete the form with this letter for your children or online at http://www.caerphilly.gov.uk or if you are not sure, please contact Catering Services on 01443 864055 (or email firstname.lastname@example.org). A member of the team will be able to advise you.