This week there is a whole school focus on healthy living. Some of the activities currently being planned include:
- Our annual ‘Charity Day’ which aims to raise money for the ‘Welsh Hearts’ organisation through a range of physical activity exercises. These physical activities include an aerobics workout, a skip-a-thon and a dodgeball tournament! Children will also undertake literacy activities to promote physical exercise.
- Special assembly for children delivered by the ‘Welsh Hearts’ organisation.
- Lessons for all year groups about ‘germs’.
- Lessons for all year groups about ‘e-safety’.
- School nurse talk to Year 3 and 4 about headlice.
- School nurse talk to Year 5 and 6 about personal hygiene.
- Dental nurse talk to Year 3 and 4 on oral hygiene.
- Mindfulness workshops for Year 5 and 6 pupils led by a qualified trainer.
A letter is being sent home today encouraging children to collect sponsorship in support of the Welsh Hearts organisation. A special prize will be awarded to the pupil who collects the highest amount of sponsorship money. Please help support this very worthwhile cause.
Children in upper school have began a series of workshops focusing on ‘mindfulness. This is all about learning to direct our attention to our experience as it unfolds, moment by moment, with open-minded curiosity and acceptance. Rather than worrying about what has happened or might happen, it trains us to respond skilfully to whatever is happening right now, be that good or bad.
The sessions, which are led by a qualified instructor, aims to give pupils mindfulness as a life-skill. Pupils use it …
- to feel happier, calmer and more fulfilled
- to get on better with others
- to help them concentrate and learn better
- to help cope with stress and anxiety
- to support performance such as music and sport